unrecoverable disk errors

Patrice Dumas pertusus at free.fr
Thu Aug 5 19:35:14 UTC 2004

Hi,

In fedora core 3 test (upgraded with yum from fc2). The kernel is 2.6.7-499.
After a reboot the kernel couldn't launch init (seems that missing /initrd
was the issue).
I rebooted under repair environments and a fc 1, I ran e2fsck, and the root
filesystem had a lot of broken stuff within. When doing a chroot within the
fc3t system I could see that there were a lot of missing files (9308).
(There was nothing in the logs explaining the failure. I fixed my setup
since by reinstalling the rpm with missing files).

Now I thought that I could fix the filesystem errors with e2fsck. But each
time I run e2fsck (with -f the e2fsck provided with fc3t) the same errors pop
up:

[root at localhost root]# ./e2fsck -c -f /dev/hda1
e2fsck 1.35 (28-Feb-2004)
Checking for bad blocks (read-only test): done
Error reading block 1278188 (Attempt to read block from filesystem resulted in
short read) while doing inode scan.  Ignore error<y>? yes

Force rewrite<y>? yes

Error reading block 1278189 (Attempt to read block from filesystem resulted in
short read) while doing inode scan.  Ignore error<y>? yes

Force rewrite<y>? yes

Error reading block 1278190 (Attempt to read block from filesystem resulted in
short read) while doing inode scan.  Ignore error<y>? yes

Force rewrite<y>? yes

<skipped>

Error reading block 1572913 (Attempt to read block from filesystem resulted in
short read) while doing inode scan.  Ignore error<y>? yes

Force rewrite<y>? yes

Pass 2: Checking directory structure
Pass 3: Checking directory connectivity
Pass 4: Checking reference counts
Pass 5: Checking group summary information

/dev/hda1: ***** FILE SYSTEM WAS MODIFIED *****
/dev/hda1: 247256/870912 files (2.9% non-contiguous), 1107924/1741036 blocks
[root at localhost root]#

I also have had some new errors some times, thus it is possible that my disk is
dying (and more errors seem to show up when I run e2fsck...), but the errors
I report above appear all the time I run e2fsck -f -c.

Maybe it isn't a bug but if it is I can report further.

Pat