stories about actually using FC3t1 on a regular basis?

Harry Putnam reader at newsguy.com
Fri Aug 6 13:40:58 UTC 2004

"Robert P. J. Day" <rpjday at mindspring.com> writes:

> does it sound like i'd have any grief?  i don't mind the inevitable
> annoyances i'd have to work around, just the real devastating ones.
> thanks.

Not sure if this is in anyway a general problem. I've gotten no
answers to my posts and only see a few cron related postings.

If you depend on cron for much it could be pretty rough to lose it.
My crond gets knocked off every so often.  I'm running FC3t1 with most
updates (not the narly recent ones like curl and a few others). On my
main desktop machine.  But this is only a one user non-serious
personal desktop.

I haven't been able to find what is killing crond, but when I notice
mail stop coming or a few other things happening it has turned out to
be a killed of crond.

The only diagnostics I can offer is the message produced by:

  service crond status
  crond dead but pid file exists

And that following the recent vixie-cron update install.  Suddenly no
users (even root) could write to crontab -e.

I had to create /etc/cron.allow and add them.  Even root, although the
crontab man page says root will be able to write without that.