Cron dying unexpectedly [Re: stories about actually using FC3t1 on a regular basis?]

Russell Coker russell at coker.com.au
Wed Aug 11 01:19:30 UTC 2004

On Wed, 11 Aug 2004 00:52, Jeff Spaleta <jspaleta at gmail.com> wrote:
> My gut says its some sort of script thats being activated that ends up
> killing cron. Do you have any local cronjobs defined?  You might try
> disabling on locally defined cronjobs and see if cron stays up. Then
> you might try disabling all cronjobs managed by rpms in
> /etc/cron.daily or whatever.  Just let cron sit there running with
> nothing to do and see if it crashes.

If running SE Linux with the strict policy then you could put the following in
the policy:

auditallow domain crond_t:process { sigkill sigstop signal };

Then if something is killing your crond you'll get an audit entry about it.
Of course this may also report things that aren't necessary problems, all
cron jobs are permitted to send some signals to crond and crond can signal
itself.