ACPI and suspend

Ow Mun Heng Ow.Mun.Heng at wdc.com
Mon Aug 23 01:54:58 UTC 2004

On Mon, 2004-08-23 at 05:08, Peter Boy wrote:
> Am So, den 22.08.2004 schrieb Russell Coker um 14:03:
> > The default configuration of ACPI on my Thinkpad T41p is that closing the lid
> > will turn off the back-light but leave the machine running.
> >
> > Is this the desired default behaviour?  I had expected that closing the lid
> > would give the same result that APM has always given and put the machine into
> > suspend mode.

> Well, that bebaviour is not desired  :-). There is a problem with the
> current ACPI implementation in Linux that lacks implementation of the
> client side of ACPI. And there are some inconsistencies between the
> Linux ACPI implementation and the IBM Bios (you can see corresponding
> warnings im /var/log/messages - search for ACPI).
>
> The easiest way is to suspend ACPI (acpi=no in /etc/grub/grub.conf)
> which automatically starts up apmd which will do the job. Otherwise you
> have to develop the client side script for your own (see as as an
> example /etc/acpi/events/sample.conf). But all the messages I read about
> this issue say there is no good solution available yet.

I would have to disagree with you on that. A client side script can be
written and implemented. It, to me, give you, the user much greater
flexibility. (that is assuming that you know how to write one, but it
isn't so difficult to google is it?)

For me, I don't use the close-lid thing to suspend the machine. I use it
to just turn off the LCD which is Good For me. (since S3 does not work
on my machine(D600) yet)

I've gotten S4 to work well using acpi and has never tried apm.

--
Ow Mun Heng
Fedora GNU/Linux Core 2 on D600 1.4Ghz CPU kernel