ACPI and suspend

Peter pboy at barkhof.uni-bremen.de
Mon Aug 23 10:44:39 UTC 2004

Am Mo, den 23.08.2004 schrieb Ow Mun Heng um 3:54:
> > The easiest way is to suspend ACPI (acpi=no in /etc/grub/grub.conf)
> > which automatically starts up apmd which will do the job. Otherwise you
> > have to develop the client side script for your own (see as as an
> > example /etc/acpi/events/sample.conf). But all the messages I read about
> > this issue say there is no good solution available yet.
>
> I would have to disagree with you on that. A client side script can be
> written and implemented. It, to me, give you, the user much greater
> flexibility. (that is assuming that you know how to write one, but it
> isn't so difficult to google is it?)

It's not so difficult to write a script, but it seems to be diffficult
to find / develope a workaround for several inconveniences with the
thinkpad bios. With the T40/T41 acpid does not recognize the <Fn><F3>
button for switching off the backlit not the <Fn><F12> for suspend to
disk. But to be honest I never tried it for myself after reading about
all the probs on various mailing lists.

> For me, I don't use the close-lid thing to suspend the machine. I use it
> to just turn off the LCD which is Good For me. (since S3 does not work
> on my machine(D600) yet)
>
> I've gotten S4 to work well using acpi and has never tried apm.

I would appreciate if you could post your solutions here.

Peter