no USB jump/flash drive support yet

Robert G. (Doc) Savage dsavage at peaknet.net
Tue Aug 24 06:08:38 UTC 2004

On Mon, 2004-08-23 at 22:31, t l wrote:
> The only additional info I've been able to get
> is by running 'lsusb'. It lists the USB Flash
> drive that usbcore fails to probe correctly.
>
> Here is the output from 'lsusb':
>
> Bus 004 Device 004: ID 08ec:0010 M-Systems Flash Disk Pioneers DiskOnKey
> Bus 004 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
> Bus 003 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
> Bus 002 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
> Bus 001 Device 003: ID 03f0:1e11 Hewlett-Packard
> Bus 001 Device 002: ID 0409:0058 NEC Corp. HighSpeed Hub
> Bus 001 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
>
> tom
>
> ------------------------------------
> * From: TGS <spam tachegroup com>
>
> Same exact problem here.
>
> I am able to use some USB Flash drives without issue, but some fail. The
> failures lock up the whole mount subsystem capability, and the only way to
> fix it is to restart. My errors are just like the below. Is there a way to
> gather detailed information for the failed devices?

Tom,

Both of my thumb drives appear as /dev/sda and work perfectly. Other
folks have reported their thumb drives appear as /dev/sda1. And there
are some truly evil thumb drives that require Windows security drivers
to access them. Has that possibility been ruled out?

-- Doc
Robert G. (Doc) Savage, BSE(EE), CISSP, RHCE | Fairview Heights, IL
Fedora Core 1 kernel 2.4.22-1.2199.nptl on P-III/M IBM Thinkpad A22p
"Perfection is the enemy of good enough."
                         -- Admiral of the Fleet Sergei G. Gorshkov