Bug in Up2date resolution when packages marked skipped --attachment

Jim Cornette fct-cornette at sbcglobal.net
Tue Aug 24 22:58:14 UTC 2004

William Hooper wrote:
> Jim Cornette said:
>
>>Adding attachment -
>>

>>I noticed that when a package may have many different elements, such as
>>xorg-x11, updating will fail because deps might be needed from the excluded
>>list.
>

> I'm not sure I see the problem?  If you exclude packages, they won't be
> installed automatically (that is the whole purpose).  If you can't resolve
> the deps (because packages are excluded) then they won't be installed.
>

>>I had this happen because of adding xorg-x11 to my skipped packages
>>recently. The package that caused the conflict was
>>xorg-x11-deprecated-libs-6.7.9
>

> If you wanted to exclude xorg-x11-depreciated you just exclude it, not
> everything xorg-x11.

The problem was that the xorg-x11-depreciated was not installed and had
to be pulled in. Xorg-x11 was a wildcard and I used it to exclude
xorg-x11 in much the same way as the kernel is easily selected, if desired.

Instead of the normal reply that these additional packages will be
needed to satisfy deps, the error dialog box filled the screen.

Anyway, compiling the latest xorg-x11 from src worked out great for a
machine that contains the 845 version of the i810 video driver. The
latest version works great and does not crash.

For this computer, The i686 rpms worked great, except I had to use the
i810 video driver from the version of the xorg-x11 that was on the FC3T1
  CD. I didn't get a chance to try to apply the patch supplied with the bug.

Anyway, for that installation, the network won't resolve with any
version of kernel. Is this the bind package that people are referring to?

Jim