gnome-volume-manager vs. automount w/ usb memory stick

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Wed Aug 25 13:57:32 UTC 2004

On Wed, 25 Aug 2004 08:36:14 -0500, Dr. Steve <rockdoctor at nfldinet.com> wrote:
> Automounting is working fine with hal-0.2.97.cvs20040819.
> Thanks guys.

Fine... until you try to use 3 usb devices at once...

use them individually:
I have a flash card reader   shows up as "flash"
I have a usbstick    shows up as "usbstick"
i have a usb camera  which shows up as "usbstick" when connected

I connect them one at a time, the all seem to work, fstab updated
and gnome notices....sweeeet. Disconnecting them gnome notices
and fstab is updated.... sweeeet.

I connect them in pairs, they all seem to work, connecting and disconnecting.
double sweet.

I connect all three BOOM, something goes horribly wrong,
1)flash card gets /dev/sda1 and "flash" mount point  fstab entry okay
2)usb camera gets /dev/sdb1 and "usbstick" mount point fstab entry okay
3)usbstick  gets /dev/sdc1  NO mount point  NO fstab entry

now on disconnect with all 3 connected
3)usbstick removed /dev/sdc1 goes away
4)usb camera removed /dev/sdb1 goes away.. fstab NOT updated,
"usbstick" mountpoint still exists
5)didnt remove the flash card, becuase well I wanted to use it :->

6)reconnect usbstick and it uses the pre-existing fstab entry that was
originally meant for the camera with /dev/sdb1
7)disconnect usbstick /dev/sdb1 goes away... fstab NOT updated
"usbstick" mountpoint still exists.

I need to double check the camera and usbstick pairing. Maybe its a
conflict in the mountpoint naming logic thats being used? Maybe
"usbstick" is being used for my camera and my usbstick. I would have
expected "second usbstick" or "usbstick1" or "not that other usbstick"
as a second generated mountpoint.

-jef"i wonder what happens if i plug in all 4 usbsticks and the 2
cameras...hmmmm"spaleta