Whats with the petty Open Source Pureness that has killed PWCX

richard mullens mullens at ntlworld.com
Sun Aug 29 03:05:01 UTC 2004

seth vidal wrote:

>On Sat, 2004-08-28 at 21:22 -0400, Listman wrote:
>
>>We are all being shafted in this one. For those of you like me that have
>>experienced high quality video courtesy of PWCX.....
>>
>>http://www.smcc.demon.nl/webcam/
>>
>>Is their any way to talk some sense into the Kernel maintainers?
>>

>You might want to read Greg K-H's faq before you go 'talking sense' into
>anyone.
>

>http://lwn.net/Articles/99639/

For what it's worth, my view is that Nemosoft is right.
Let me declare my interest, I have two of these webcams - a Philips
ToUcam Pro (PCVC 740K) and
a similar Logictech webcam.  I bought these after some research on the
web because there was support
for them and because they were high quality with CCD sensors.  The
Logictech device (or its successor)
is widely available at PC World, and my philips cam is in use on my
website at http://80.4.116.219/cam.html
(in the daylight hours anyway) on an earlier version of redhat linux
(7.3.94).

I have noticed that these cams do not work on Fedora - and this inhibits
me from moving my site to Fedora
as I had planned to do.  Never mind the religeous aspects of kernel
tainting, what matters to me is whether
I can use the system.

I get a feeling too that there is an effort at defeaturing "Linux".  I
believe that vsftpd doesn't now work in
passive mode (on FC2)- at least without strong linux admin skills - so
it appears that in certain areas, using
linux is becoming harder.  Whether this is deliberate or not I cannot say.