Problems after reinstall

Michal Jaegermann michal at harddata.com
Tue Dec 7 15:33:57 UTC 2004

> > How did you back up /usr?
>
> cp -a /mnt/l2/usr/* /mnt/linux/usr/

That should not replace links with their contents.  Something is
amiss.

BTW - you should really do instead 'cp -a /mnt/l2/usr /mnt/linux'.
There is likely no difference in this particular case but in general
it is. 'cp -ax ...' also comes often handy.

> I installed FC3 clean from the CDs - wiped the partitions, selected
> packages, you know, did it clean.

So where this stuff you backed up in /mnt/linux/usr/ is coming into
the picture?

> The only ldconfig I have are in /sbin/ldconfig.

Yes.  So?

> That rpm wasn't installed!

How did you manage that trick?  You mean that you were
picking every package for an installation "manually" and installed
by explicitly switching root with -r option to rpm?

> It is coming up with a lot of prelink errors

If you replaced various files from the time the last prelink was
done then you will see that.  Run /etc/cron.daily/prelink script and
they should vanish.

   Michal