New testing kernel.

Jon Nettleton jon.nettleton at gmail.com
Thu Dec 9 16:06:58 UTC 2004

On Thu, 9 Dec 2004 08:44:27 -0600, Chris Adams <cmadams at hiwaay.net> wrote:
> Once upon a time, Dave Jones <davej at redhat.com> said:
>

> > On Wed, Dec 08, 2004 at 10:11:47PM -0300, Alexandre Strube wrote:
> >  > Is this related with logging out from gnome and, when the gdm screen
> >  > should appear, the computer locks up hard? This is happening with latest
> >  > kernels. I don't know what to do anymore.
> >
> > We've spotted that happening for a while with the RHEL4 kernel.
> > It's started happening since we switched off the 4g/4g patch for some
> > reason.  This one really needs solving before the current updates-testing
> > kernel can be pushed as an update as it seems to affect quite a few
> > people.
>
> Hmm, my father's computer does this (hard lock on GNOME logout) in FC2.
> He can shut down or reboot, and X exits fine; he just can't log out (so
> he has to reboot if he wants to log out and back in for some reason).  I
> haven't had a change to diagnose it (and I definately didn't think about
> the kernel).
>

> --
> Chris Adams <cmadams at hiwaay.net>
> Systems and Network Administrator - HiWAAY Internet Services
> I don't speak for anybody but myself - that's enough trouble.
>
> --

I don't see this behaviour on any of my Athlon machines running via
chipset motherboards.  I do see it at work on a Dell Dimension 4550.
My solution at work has been to use the SMP kernel.  I worked on this
by hand and found that the problem didn't happen if I had APIC enabled
in the kernel.  Not sure if this is the same problem, but it is
definitely the same symptom.