Fedora Project launches Pre-Extras

Barry K. Nathan barryn at pobox.com
Thu Dec 16 23:06:01 UTC 2004

On Thu, Dec 16, 2004 at 04:37:30PM -0500, Matthew Miller wrote:
> And also the distribution tag. Current, all FC3 packages have "Red Hat,
> Inc." as the vendor tag, but the distribution tag is a mix of:
>
> (none)
> Red Hat (FC-3)
> Red Hat FC-3
> Red Hat Linux
> Red Hat (RHEL-3)
>
> I think it would be excellent if distribution were always set to the same
> value as found in /etc/fedora-release.

[Warning: Flammable vapors. Please do not ignite. Accidental ignition may
cause reenactment of prior flamewars.]

There's a problem: packages don't always get rebuilt (that's why there
are packages with "Red Hat (RHEL-3)" and "Red Hat Linux" for instance).
Remember, the distribution is not used to rebuild itself before release.

[end flammable vapors]

Nonetheless, it would be nice to standardize on either the "Red Hat
FC-3" or "Red Hat (FC-3)" form and not have both.

-Barry K. Nathan <barryn at pobox.com>