Fedora Project launches Pre-Extras

Dag Wieers dag at wieers.com
Fri Dec 17 08:30:05 UTC 2004

On Thu, 16 Dec 2004, seth vidal wrote:

> On Thu, 2004-12-16 at 13:32 -0600, Satish Balay wrote:
> > On Thu, 16 Dec 2004, seth vidal wrote:
> >
> > > Why would you want to distinguish by package release name?
> >
> > Well - not exactly the release name - but the repository name 'fe' vs
> > 'fr' vs 'dag' etc..
> >
> > I guess the functionality would be: list 'all' installed pacakges from
> > 'fedora-extras' repository.
> >
> > I guess ideally yum could provide this feature (similar to 'yum list
> > extras') - but currently its easy to do the following:
> >
> > rpm -qa |grep \.fr
>
> Putting the repository name in the release tag is kinda silly.
>
> Now if people want to start using the Vendor tag more usefully.
>
> I'll be glad to include a list option in yum that lists by vendor.

The reason why it is useful to have it in the filename (together with the
distribution tag) is that every output that concerns packages show the
package name. And it allows to identify immediately where it came from and
what it was build for.

It may not have been the purpose of the release-tag, but it's useful to
many (instead of silly). It wouldn't even matter if RPM had a special
extra tag after the release tag specially for this because it would act
exactly the same anyway (and would require change to all tools to be able
to show it).