Fedora Project launches Pre-Extras

John Dennis jdennis at redhat.com
Fri Dec 17 17:27:57 UTC 2004

On Fri, 2004-12-17 at 11:56, Dag Wieers wrote:
> If you use different repositories and there's no coordination, there's no
> proper way to compare the release tags anyway. The discussion about either
> the disttag or the vendortag are useless.

I agree with Dag here, at the moment if one tries to compare packages
between two distinctly different distributions the comparison is
meaningless. While it may not be ideal the current mechanism makes
strong assumptions concerning common buildroots, a constraint difficult
to assert compliance with across differing distributions. While in
practice installing packages from different distributions might work
there is no assurance it will and no one likely would come to the rescue
should problems arise if one is engaged in this practice.

That fact however does not diminish the usefulness of having the
distribution name encoded in the rpm name for the benefit of human
beings. It does however require for any given package in a given
distribution use a consistent naming scheme so as not to alter the
result of comparisons.
--
John Dennis <jdennis at redhat.com>