Automatic Installation of Printers

Rodolfo J. Paiz rpaiz at simpaticus.com
Fri Dec 17 20:06:45 UTC 2004

On Fri, 2004-12-17 at 13:48 +0000, Timothy Murphy wrote:
> CUPS is almost wilfully difficult to configure.

Perhaps you could provide some detail on your troubles? Maybe we can
help.

My experience was that printing on Linux befuddled me *until* CUPS,
which has made everything work well. In the case of Fedora Core 3, I
simply hit the Fedora -> System Settings -> Printing menu, then add a
printer. I've been successful in configuring printers connected via the
parallel port, printers shared by a Windows box, and even printers on an
old Linksys print server (which magically turned out to support LPR). I
have also managed to share the printers on my Linux system with
others... and every single one of those was point-and-click simple.

I'm not saying you're crazy or I'm expert... I'm just pointing out that
there are different experiences out there. What problems are you having
specifically?

Cheers,

--
Rodolfo J. Paiz <rpaiz at simpaticus.com>