Fedora Project launches Pre-Extras

seth vidal skvidal at phy.duke.edu
Sun Dec 19 00:17:41 UTC 2004

> > nope. Just means a user thinks something is from somewhere by looking at
> > the filename, not looking at the content or the signature.
>
> Correct, at the same time people can see when a repository is misleading
> people. It's functional as an identifier to select a package or to see
> what the origin is in Yum/Apt output.

> Again, from a strict principal point of view you're correct.

I've said it before and i'll say it again:

EPOCH, VERSION AND RELEASE ARE USED IN VERSION COMPARISON!

We shouldn't have non-version-comparison data used to compare versions.

It's a pollution of the space and a confusion of what they do.

If you cannot see how they confuse what is a version issue then you're
self-deluding.

> Why is that necessary ? Why do you consider the current release field less
> useful ? Having a disttag and vendortag in the release tag (and
> filename) is _very_ useful. Maybe not to you, but to many others (both in
> bugreports or just as an identifier to select packages).

I don't care about the filename. The filename is nothing - I care about
the garbage getting in fields that I need to use to do version
comparison.

have .dag. or .fdr. or .fr. since it does not make a claim about the
version of the software, only a statement about which repo it came from
(and not an authoritative statement at that) is just pollution.

> Sorry, Seth, I disagree. I see 'useful' in a less strict sense. I consider
> other uses than only the version comparison. And it does not interfere
> with that and there's no other harm.
>
> But then again, if you're talking as the authority repository and don't
> see a use in 3rd party repositories, there's no need for a repotag. But
> for a complete other reason.

I see useful in the specific sense of being one of the people who
maintains and works on dependency solvers.

>From a cleanliness of programming it'd be a lot nicer to match repo
based on gpg signature than based on some arbitrarily-placed string in
the release tag.

If you want to make the tools better you have to store the data in sane
places and don't pollute other fields with it.

-sv