AMD64 install failure on LSI Megaraid.

Sam Varshavchik mrsam at courier-mta.com
Wed Feb 4 04:58:01 UTC 2004

I'm trying to install Fedora AMD64 0.96 onto a pair of disks in a RAID-1
configuration, using the Megaraid 320-1 card.  When Anaconda begins
formatting partitions the cursor becomes very sluggish. The hourglass
animation goes at, maybe, one third its regular speed, and the pointer
noticably flickers.

tty4 is spitting out a bunch of "scsi disk error id=0 lun=0 error=40001",
while all of this is going on.

This continues through the format process, and somewhere in the middle of
copying the install image I get kicked back to the text mode.  There are no
diagnostics or error message, except for a blank, generic "install exited
abnormally", and a shutdown.

Upon reboot both disks in the array are marked as bad.  However the Megaraid
card shows no media errors on either drive.

If I bring up the disks manually, boot into rescue mode, and use dd
if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sda[123], I can essentially wipe the entire disk
without getting the disks flagged as bad.  The physical disks are new, and
there's every indication that there's nothing wrong with the physical disk.

And I did test the burned Fedora CDs, they are good.

Anaconda automatically brings up the megaraid driver.  I've tried noprobe
and manually selected megaraid2, with the same results.

The only other detail here is that the Megaraid card is in the 32 bit PCI
slot.  For some reason I can't boot the machine with the Megaraid card in
the 64 bit slot.

I'm stumped.  I can write to the entire RAID logical volume using dd, from
tty2.  But as soon as Anaconda starts loading stuff, errors galore.