No sound under the 2.6.1 test kernels

Jim Cornette redhat-jc at insight.rr.com
Thu Feb 5 22:52:06 UTC 2004

The sound for the 2.6 kernel have been changed to alsa. The oss drivers
were not included.

I believe this move was to get the bug reports for sound problems, so to
straighten out the initscripts to load the modules.

I believe someone posted something about the modules for AC 97 and the
2.6 kernel. On the development list archive, you might be able to look
for the message, which listed the modules needed for oss emulation,
using alsa drivers for the AC 97.

I have the AC 97 working with the 2.6 kernel, but load the modules in my
/etc/rc.d/rc.local file and am using a different computer right now,
without the information.

Jim