XFree86-4.3.0-50 testing update issue with Radeon Mobility 9600

Matthias Saou thias at spam.spam.spam.spam.spam.spam.spam.egg.and.spam.freshrpms.net
Wed Feb 11 16:50:00 UTC 2004

Hi,

I've got an ATI Radeon Mobility 9600 in my laptop. It's not recognized by
FC1's original XFree86 build, so I initially had to install 4.4RC2 in order
to get accelerated 2D working with the radeon driver (binaries from
XFree86.org).
I saw some backports had been included for ATI drivers in the latest
XFree86 testing update, so I gave it a try : X starts, no problems
whatsoever, gdm is there, yeah! But... when I log in through gdm or
"startx" from runlevel 3 the computer completely locks up (nasty freeze,
mouse not moving, network dead... you get the picture) on the GNOME splash
screen, even before the first little logo (service being run) appears.

Back to 4.4RC2 things work again, minus some issues with xfs dying at
random times and ttmkfontdir segfaulting, but I had that before too.

As this is for a card not initially supported by FC1, and as I'm unable to
get any kind of useful debug info, I doubt this is worth bugzilla'ing :-(

Matthias

Fedora Core release 1 (Yarrow) - Linux kernel 2.6.1-1.65
Load : 1.19 0.61 0.39