Artsd + alsa == problems

Michael Schwendt ms-nospam-0306 at arcor.de
Sun Feb 15 03:03:45 UTC 2004

On Sat, 14 Feb 2004 23:09:40 -0300, Pedro Fernandes Macedo wrote:

> Is it just me or artds doesnt like alsa?

True, aRtsd doesn't like ALSA's OSS layer. Happens with ALSA in 2.4 kernel
series, too.  Though, sometimes it works, and it seems to work for other
users just fine.

> Btw , why alsa-utils isnt installed by default if a sound card is
> detected and some audio apps are installed?

No idea. But alsamixer is pretty much essential and ought to be installed.

> One of the things that I've noticed that need some tweaking:
> system-config-sound . It doesnt unmute the necessary channels and doesnt
> give you an option to raise the volume , so you end up thinking that
> sound isnt working at all...

It seems to me, native ALSA support in FC2 Test1 is not complete [yet].
system-config-soundcard still calls only aumix for OSS compatible audio
drivers, but nothing for ALSA.