No Floppies?

Leonard den Ottolander leonard at den.ottolander.nl
Wed Feb 18 00:34:50 UTC 2004

Hello Robert,

> Is there a reason that there are no floppy intsallation disks for FC2
> test 1?

The kernel doesn't fit any more.

> I have a laptop that the main CDrom drive is toast, and have a PCMCIA
> CDRom drive I want to install from.  Help?

Boot from a floppy distro, export the needed partitions via nfs and rpm
-i --aid --root /mnt/sys2install <some package(s)>
from the source system should render a system containing the package(s)
and dependencies. (Suggestion: package = openssh-server should render a
minimal system that can be remotely logged into, possibly smaller than a
minimal install via anaconda.)

For this to work you have to setup /etc/rpm/macros.solve with the
following parameters:
%_solve_dbpath <path to full fedora-rpmdb>
%_solve_pkgsdir <path to packages>
%_solve_name_fmt %%{NAME}-%%{VERSION}-%%{RELEASE}.%%{ARCH}.rpm

You have to provide the correct arch versions of the packages in the
package dir (most notably kernel and glibc). Use rpm with --ignorearch
if the source and target system's architecture differs.

Bye,
Leonard.