Lets take the worst of windows and make it the unchangeable default of linux

Alexander Larsson alexl at redhat.com
Wed Feb 18 15:10:52 UTC 2004

On Wed, 2004-02-18 at 15:56, Douglas Furlong wrote:
> On Wed, 2004-02-18 at 14:44, Douglas Furlong wrote:

> > > There are other ways to handle it that doesn't leave it an utter mess:
> > >
> > > Shift-double click or alt-shift down (conflicts with default metacity
> > > keybinding) opens the folder and closes the old one.
> >
> > I was admittedly not away of these key bindings, however I still don't
> > think this is really a valid solution, it just means that much more
> > effort. The number of times I would want to have another window opened
> > each time would be may 0.1% of the time. when I am working and desire a
> > new window, it's much easier just to hit CTRL + N, or some thing
> > similar.
> > I can accept that this may not be the default for many, that's why I
> > just said I want the option.
> I should have really tested this sooner (however the idea itself was
> unpleasant to my mind), however I just tried using this solution, and it
> resolves the problem of my screen being cluttered, now I just have to
> play "chase the new window" as the newly spawned windows play kiss chase
> around the screen.
>
> Reminiscent of the puerile java pop up's that say some thing like
>
> "Do you have a small Todger?" and the "No" button keeps on either
> moving, or being replaced with "Yes" on mouse over.
>
> Great, loads of fun.

Ah, but another core feature of spatial mode is that folder windows
always remember their position, so once you've used a spatial file
manager for a while your windows tend to automatically come up in the
right place.

                   alexl at redhat.com    alla at lysator.liu.se
He's a scrappy alcoholic photographer for the 21st century. She's a vivacious
hypochondriac former first lady married to the Mob. They fight crime!