Kernel-2.6.2-1.87 locking up computer

Jim Cornette redhat-jc at insight.rr.com
Thu Feb 19 04:53:30 UTC 2004

Testing out the latest two kernels that were released into rawhide. I
see three problems with my system. First is it starts rhgb, then reverts
back to the text screen.

Next, it gets to the mounting other file systems, then does nothing, it
locks up and you cannot reboot, except for a hard reset. This failure is
caused due to reiserfs. I have a regular Fedora Core 1 installation that
uses reiserfs and is mounted in my /etc/fstab for my development system
(FC2 development only).

If I remove the reiserfs from mounting on boot. (Remove entire reference
from fstab file). The system will boot until it tries to start X. Then
the X server loops.

/var/log/messages excerpt
kernel: found reiserfs format "3.6" with standard journal
kernel: reiserfs:warning: CONFIG_REISERFS_CHECK is set ON
kernel: reiserfs:warning: - it is slow mode for debugging.
kernel: Reiserfs journal params: device hda2, size 8192, journal first
block 18, max trans len 1024, max batch 900, max commit age 30, max
trans age 30
kernel: reiserfs: checking transaction log (hda2) for (hda2)
Feb 18 23:22:31 ... kernel: Using r5 hash to sort names

I looked at the /var/log/XFree86.0.log, the /var/log/XFree86.1.log and
also the /var/log/XFree86.0.log.old log and noticed that the references
were different when I booted into the  Kernel-2.6.2-1.81 kernel.

In short, the kernels later than Kernel-2.6.2-1.81 are full of
surprises, scary ones.

Jim