Kernel-2.6.2-1.87 locking up computer

Jim Cornette redhat-jc at insight.rr.com
Fri Feb 20 02:51:11 UTC 2004

Tim Quinn wrote:
> Hi Jim ---
>
> Looks like your mouse is preventing X from loading.  Have you tried
> making this change in your etc/X11/XF86Config file?
>
> "Please modify Section "Input Device" End Section
>
> Option "Device"
>    "/dev/input/mice" or "/dev/input/mouse0"
> (it probably reads something like "/dev/psaux" or "/dev/mouse" before
> you change it to the above)
>
> And change /etc/sysconfig/gpm file:
>
> DEVICE; "/dev/input/mouse0" or "/dev/input/mice"
>
> Good luck!   tq

I have two input devices within my /etc/X11/XF86Config file. One of the
instances was set to /dev/psaux and the second was set to /dev/input
mice. I ended up leaving the second instance within the file and changed
the one that pointed to "/dev/psaux" to "/dev/input/mice" also.

Thanks for the help with locating th line that was causing the latest
kernel to load X properly.

Sorry for the continuation into the things with nautilus and file
selection tools for applications. They should be committed to bugzilla
and hopefully made to work in reasonable manners.

Now with X up and running. I can see what the problem with mounting
reiserfs volumes is. I have seen a posting that said that hpfs modules
are not present within the kernel either. I don't have any of those
volume types fortunately.

Jim