FC2, development and up2date

Gene C. czar at czarc.net
Fri Feb 20 15:08:29 UTC 2004

On Friday 20 February 2004 08:42, Mike Chambers wrote:
> On Fri, 2004-02-20 at 07:13 -0500, Gene C. wrote:
> > When I run up2date, I still get "system up to date" (or something to that
> > effect).  However, rhn-applet shows lots of updates available ...
> > something like 1178 updates!
>
> What server/dir are you checking against?  It should be rawhide as that
> is where most updates go to.  And if you are against rawhide, is it a
> good mirror or Red Hat's servers?

Using the /etc/sysconfig/rhn/sources that comes with FC2test1, I just tried
again ... the mirror server I got was distro.ibiblio.org and, again, I am up
to date.

If I take out mirrors so I only go to download.fedora.redhat.com, things just
"hang" ... I suspect that the server is just too busy.

IIRC, I did get through to download.fedora.redhat.com at least once and it
also said I was up to date.

But, the rhn-applet says there are 1178 updates available and if I access it
via gftp, the updated packages are there.  With download.fedora.redhat.com
being so overloaded, it is counterproductive to try and download much from
there.  I did get the updated kernel, up2date, and rhn-applet updates
downloaded and then updated using up2date via a local repository.

Another thing that bothers me is that, although the updated packages are on
download.fedora.redhat.com, none of the updates seem to have propagated to
the mirrors.  I assume that the mirrors pull from some server other than
download.fedora.redhat.com and that server appears to be out-of-sync.
--
Gene