Mouse issues with updated 2.6.3 kernel via up2date and more

I too get the mouse problems with the start of the X server with the updated
kernel.  I have tried  the fix offered here of changing the psaux to mouse
in the config file but that doesn't work for me.  Tried quite a few things
there but they were all very uneducated guesses.

Also, I have an HP psc 750xi scanner/copier/printer all in one.  Printing
works fine (just don't try to print in GIMP).  But the scanner doesn't work.
 On RH9, I installed an HP sponsored driver that I found on sourceforge
(http://hpoj.sourceforge.net/download.shtml) and it worked fine.  Is it that
2.6 hasn't incorporated the driver or hardware detection didn't configure
it?  To be fair, the driver is at a .9.1 status.  Anyone know?