First impressions FC2-test1

PatrickM patrickm at myway.com
Sun Feb 22 10:09:07 UTC 2004

Hello everybody,
Yesterday I downloaded and installed FC2 test 1.

Here are my first impressions... And yes, I do realise it's a first test so nothing is final or should be fixed in next version(s). I'm just trying to be positive critical (and it's not always easy when English isn't your native language). I'm really curious if others experienced it like me...

For your information, the computer used/specifications:
Compac Ipaq, pentium 3, 733mHz, 256 MB, Intel810/AC'97 integrated videocard/soundcard. I've been using this machine to "fool" around with other Linux distro's. Also FC1 was on it and everything worked without any flaw!

1) No sound during the installation: the soundcard-test didn't produce any sound. Haven't gotten around to play mp3 or ogg files yet.

2) When the Gnome desktop appeared, the "Computer" icon added looked nice, but what I don't get is what the use is of all those additional windows when double clicking on Computer/Filesystem... And why are the buttons from each window gone? Now everytime I want to open a directory, a new window pops up.. (looks a bit like the setting Win'95 had).

3) Fstab is hard to open when using Gedit: I wanted to set up NFS so I could access my server, but when selecting "Open File" within Gedit, I first had to go through several steps (like which type of file I would like to open, is it a text-file or "all files") before I finally made it to etc/fstab.

4) During the boot of the system, I got a "starting cpuspeed" error: "/sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_governor ... No such file or directory". Hopefully this message is usefull, but it's abacadabra to me.

But it's nice to see that FC2 is on it's way... I really like(d) FC1 and have been using it on all computers I could get my hands on ;-) So I'm looking forward to the final release of FC2.

Regards,
PatrickM

"There is a great disturbance in the Source."