/sbin not in path

Sean Earp smearp at mac.com
Mon Feb 23 04:16:49 UTC 2004

Hello all-

I  did not see an answer to this in the archives, so if it is a stupid
question, I apologize in advance.

I just did a clean install of FC2 Test 1, formatting my drive in
advance.  I chose all the default options during the install.  Once I
booted up to the desktop, I did not have any network connectivity
(although the internet/network worked fine with FC1).  I popped open a
terminal window and typed

ifconfig

To check if I was obtaining an IP address.  I received a message that
the command "ifconfig" could not be found.   After doing some
troubleshooting, I found that       /sbin      was not part of my
default path.  If I manually move to the /sbin directory and run
./ifconfig, it works fine.  If export the /sbin directory to my path,
it works fine.

My question is...      Is the omission of the /sbin directory in the
default path an error, or is something messed up with my installation?
  As far as I recall, ifconfig worked just fine in FC1

Any information would be much appreciated.   Thanks a million,

-Sean