Trying stuff in the testing repository

Mike A. Harris mharris at redhat.com
Thu Feb 26 22:20:01 UTC 2004

On Tue, 24 Feb 2004, PFJ wrote:

>> I have an FC1 box that tracks the testing repository. With the latest updates
>> it got part way through updating, failed on cpp (unpacking failed) - disk
>> was mostly empty. This set of updates applied so far also broke up2date
>> entirely
>
>One thing which always did puzzle me is why, unlike Windows, neither RH
>or Fedora ever checks to see if you have enough room for any install.
>Surely if the rpm included the unpacked size and then did a quick check
>to ensure there is enough unpacking and installing space, failed RPM
>installs would be far less frequent.

It does check for disk space before doing installation. If you
find that it fails, report a bug against the proper component
(anaconda, rpm, up2date, whatever), or your best guess to what
component is at fault.

I've done many installations in which I was short on disk space,
and was promptly informed that I could not continue - before
anything began installing.  It also refused to install for me
once due to not having enough free inodes on /, so it doesn't
just check disk space, but also free inodes.