Testing test releases: do not update

Mike A. Harris mharris at redhat.com
Fri Feb 27 06:26:36 UTC 2004

On Thu, 26 Feb 2004, Ernest L. Williams Jr. wrote:

>> >the more i read posted on this, the more i'm coming to sort of
>> >understand the other positions so, yes, i'm starting to
>> >understand the philosophy of, this early in the release process,
>> >just drive all of the changes out there and see what breaks.
>>
>> That's how it has been for 10 years.  I'm not sure why some
>> people think the processes that have been used all this time are
>> all of a sudden bad.  Perhaps people just do not understand the
>> procedures and what to expect.
>That is true.
>However, is there not a Fedora 2 Test-l updates tree?  IF there is then
>Testers should use that, right??

rawhide is the updates tree for any and all test releases.  All
new packages go into rawhide always, which are newer than
whatever the last released test release was.  Testers should use
rawhide, and only test packages that they are comfortable
accepting the fact that the given package might be totally broken
and unuseable and may even destroy data or damage the OS
installation requiring a total reinstallation from scratch.