Really strange problem with the 2.6.x kernels

Blaise Frederick bbf at mac.com
Fri Feb 27 22:10:13 UTC 2004

Hi,
/dev/psaux doesn't seem to work on 2.6 kernels.  I had the same
problem.  I changed all references to /dev/psaux to /dev/input/mice in
my XF86Config file, and all was well.  I've also seen people suggest
symlinking /dev/psaux to point to /dev/input/mice.  I'm not sure which
is the better solution - they end up at the same place, it seems,
although I'm sure we could have deep philosophical arguments about the
correct way to do it.

Blaise

On Feb 27, 2004, at 4:56 PM, Paul wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Up to last night, I was happily running a version of the 2.6.2 kernel
> I'd compiled myself. It worked well.
>
> I attempted to run the 2.6.3-109 kernel. X wouldn't fire up as /dev/
> psaux couldn't be found. Damn, says I, and tried to go back to the
> 2.6.2
> kernel. For some reason, the keyboard locked immediately after
> selecting
> the 2.6.2 kernel from grub. X started fine, but with no mouse or
> keyboard.
>
> Reset and moved back to the 2.4.24 kernels and all is well again.
>
> Any ideas on what could be causing this?
>
> TTFN
>
> Paul
>
> --
> "Logic, my dear Zoe, is merely the ability to be wrong with authority"
> Dr Who

Blaise Frederick
McLean Hospital Brain Imaging Center
115 Mill St.