file sharing

Thomas DuVally tduvally at brown.edu
Thu Jan 15 16:49:59 UTC 2004

On Wed, 2004-01-14 at 21:11, stephan schutter wrote:
> what is the most convenient way to share files? sftp, and  smb, via
> nautilus or konqueror operate like ftp... you have to copy local and
> edit, then copy back up again.... not very user friendly... NFS: you can
> not specify a user to connect as... Is this being worked on?

Well, I use a couple.  For simple "Here is a file you can read" type
utility, KDE has the KDE Public File Server.  Its an applet that you can
enable to share directories out via http.  You can specify port and
bandwidth limits.

For something more interactive, I use fish, which is a kioslave.
fish://hostname style file access utility in konqueror that uses ssh and
scp.  You can browse remote file systems and use it like a local.  Even
supports authentication with "fish://user:passwd@host

I think it is installed by default, since I don't remember having to
compile and install it, but I may be wrong.  You can find it here:
http://www.garni.ch/fish/

Hope that is helpful.

--
Thomas J. DuVally