x86_64 vs i[36]86 arch question

Boszormenyi Zoltan zboszor at freemail.hu
Fri Jan 16 12:13:18 UTC 2004

Justin M. Forbes írta:
> On Tue, Jan 13, 2004 at 03:06:21PM +0100, Boszormenyi Zoltan wrote:
>
>>Yes, I already guessed that I will need separate / (containing /etc ...),
>>/usr, /var for a dual boot. What I wanted to achieve is to have a single
>>boot menu. As the current situation stands, I will need two /boot
>>and manually set up an entry in the default one -it would be the
>>32 bit Fedora- so it boots another grub (that boots the 64 bit Fedora).
>>An entry similar to one that boots into a Win* should do, at least I hope.
>>

> When you do the install, I believe it will set this up automatically, if
> not, simply add the entry from grub.conf in the first installation to the
> grub.conf on the second installation.  The second will overwrite the first,
> so its grub.conf will be the one that matters.  That grub instance can boot
> any other linux image.
>
> Justin

I downloaded the preview and I used the network install with the boot.iso.
It didn't find any previous Fedora install but the 32 bit Fedora was
already installed. So no automatic GRUB setup. I choose to install
GRUB into the /boot boot sector of the x86_64 installation
instead of letting overwrite the previously installed GRUB in the MBR.
In the 32 bit /boot I have this GRUB entry:

title Fedora Core AMD64 GRUB
         rootnoverify (hd0,1)
         makeactive
         chainloader +1

It then correctly boot the x86_64 /boot GRUB which then boots
the 64 bit kernel... This has the advantage that the two
/boot/grub/grub.conf are not confused on kernel upgrades.
I am not sure that what you suggested keeps everyone happy
on kernel upgrades. I think the %post scripts watch the
kernel versions in the GRUB entries and update every matching one.

Now I can go and upgrade to Fedora Core 2 Devel... :-)

--
Best regards,
Zoltán Böszörményi