Wanting to install rawhide

Satish Balay balay at fastmail.fm
Thu Jan 29 21:00:25 UTC 2004

On Thu, 29 Jan 2004, Paul Johnson wrote:

> Hi,
>
> What do I need to alter on up2date or the nightly yum updater to install rawhide on my testing box?

wrt yum - you can have the following in /etc/yum.conf (with appropriate mirror)
[main]
cachedir=/var/cache/yum
debuglevel=2
logfile=/var/log/yum.log
pkgpolicy=newest
distroverpkg=fedora-release
tolerant=1
exactarch=1

[fedora-dev]
name=Fedora Development(rawhide)
baseurl=http://mirrors.kernel.org/fedora/core/development/i386

And run 'yum upgrade'

You might want to back up the current yum.conf - and make sure there
is plenty of free space in /var (or use different location for
'cachedir')

As of today - there are no conflicting packages in rawhide. But if
there are, you can add the following line (assuming you know what
packages to exclude) to /etc/yum.conf in the main section.

exclude=pkg1 pkg2 ..

'yum -d4 upgrade' usually gives more info on the conflicts - which you
can try and decipher to indentify the packages to exclude. (usually
the conflicts get fixed in a day or two - but then - those updates can
have new conflicts)

Satish