MyDoom

Michael Schwendt ms-nospam-0306 at arcor.de
Sat Jan 31 11:34:23 UTC 2004

On Sat, 31 Jan 2004 01:21:30 -0500, Gene C. wrote:

> The Red Hat mailing lists have always been pretty good about filering out spam
> and viruses.  However, this MyDoom thing looking like it is sneaking through.
> looking at the message headers, it appears to me that Red Hat external
> sendmail may be set up to accept mail from the outside without filtering if
> it is from a valid @redhat.com user.

Nah, I could post to the list using your name and e-mail address any time
I wish, because your e-mail address is subscribed (!), and hence messages
sent to the list, which appear as coming from a valid subscriber, are
accepted and delivered to the other subscribers.

There's nothing trivial that can be done about it. With a clever
mailing-list interface, subscribers could post to the list only with
password authentication. Even a web interface where they would need to
approve their own postings, would suffice. :o)