New Nvidia driver with 4k stack support is out

Thu Jul 1 18:44:26 UTC 2004

On Thu, 2004-07-01 at 12:43, alan wrote:
> On Thu, 1 Jul 2004, Marc Schwartz wrote:

snip

> > Alternatively, you can use:
> >
> > http://tinyurl.com/2qm2r
> >
> > For those not familiar, www.tinyurl.com will take a long URL that would
> > typically line-wrap and turn it into, for example, what you see above.
> > There are other similar services available on the web.
>
> There are good things about this sort of service and bad things.  It makes
> things shorter, but it also hides the contents of the url.
>
> Someone on the Applescript-users list demonstrated how the Applescript url
> exploit works with the tinyurl site.
>
> Thankfully I know of no such exploits that work under Linux (yet).

Quite true on all accounts.

Of course, getting what appears to be an innocent URL in an HTML based
e-mail is also subject to similar redirection, which is of course in
general how 'phishing' works.

One of the reasons to be wary of HTML e-mails.

Marc