new xterm and erase setting

Mike A. Harris mharris at www.linux.org.uk
Mon Jul 5 09:40:53 UTC 2004

On Sun, 4 Jul 2004, Harry Putnam wrote:

>Date: Sun, 04 Jul 2004 19:10:46 -0500
>From: Harry Putnam <reader at newsguy.com>
>To: fedora-test-list at redhat.com
>Subject: Re: new xterm and erase setting

>>>Maybe Mike will wake up and tell us what he changed ... : )
>>
>> No problem.  ;o)
>
>OK so what specifically was changed that causes the `new' behavior of
>of backspc NOT deleting to the left in emacs -nw.  Ditto for the
>change that causes  to appear when using backspace in `less' search
>fields?

Along with all other Red Hat customizations, the one that fixes
this problem was removed.  I don't know off hand without
examining the patch we applied, which of the customizations fixed
this, but it wouldn't be hard to find out.

Thomas will be putting xterm-192 out soon, and I'll probably
update to it right away, again without our patch applied, just to
see which upstream changes he's made will work for people instead
of our customizing things.  Once that's in the tree and I get a
bit of feedback, I'll probably re-integrate our patch and remove
any changes that aren't needed.

The backspace/delete problem will likely go away then also.  I'll
post a note here for testing/feedback then also.

Thanks again to everyone for fiddling with the new xterm and
discussing it here.

TTYL