FC3 "Minimum: Pentium-class" -- is this arch=486/opt=686?

Alan Cox alan at redhat.com
Tue Jul 13 23:44:22 UTC 2004

On Tue, Jul 13, 2004 at 06:36:28PM -0400, Bryan J. Smith wrote:
> I assume the "Pentium-class" phrase means that a full 486 ISA with TLB
> and other features is the actual ISA (instruction set architecture)
> requirement -- meaning it is still compatible with very high speed

We don't ship a 486 kernel but if you built a 486 kernel yes. Really for
the AMD SoC stuff you should build a custom kernel anyway as 2.6.x knows
about that as a non PC platform and understands some of its quirks

> [ Excusing, of course, anything that requires NPTL ]

The plan was NTPL from 486 up, I'm a little out of the loop on the final
result of that in test1 so a glibc person need to answer that

> And then, atop of all that, the binaries are optimized for 686 (Pentium
> Pro).
>
> Correct?

Yes