partitioning problems Fedora Core 3 Test 1?

Ian Pilcher i.pilcher at comcast.net
Tue Jul 27 13:05:46 UTC 2004

box01 at jens-wannenmacher.de wrote:

> I read that Fedora Core 2 could damage the partition table while
> installation.
> (
> http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-list/2004-May/msg00908.html
> )
> Is this still a problem in Fedora 3 Test 1?

Based on my experience trying to install FC3t1 (I never did succeed) it
is still a problem.  You can determine if your system is affected by
booting the installation CD, switching to an alternate virtual terminal,
and comparing the output of 'fdisk -l' and 'sfdisk -g'.  If they report
different disk geometries, then your system is affected, and you should
specify the disk geometry on the kernel command line.  (The geometry
reported by 'fdisk -l' is probably the one you want to use, since it is
based on the current partition table.)

For example, I boot FC2 with 'hda=3649,255,63 hde=14593,255,63', and I
found that it was necessary to add the same parameters to the FC3t1
installation.

Ian Pilcher                                        i.pilcher at comcast.net