Track down problem with access to display 0.0

Nalin Dahyabhai nalin at redhat.com
Thu Jul 29 05:53:05 UTC 2004

On Wed, Jul 28, 2004 at 11:02:44PM -0500, Harry Putnam wrote:
> Nalin Dahyabhai <nalin at redhat.com> writes:
>
> Malin, instead of jumping me thru hoops in post after post how about
> just saying whats on your mind here.

Harry, I'm not trying to be difficult.  If I'm coming across that way, I
apologize.

I asked you what the permissions were on the .ssh directory and its
contents for both users, and you gave me that data for the one of the
users.  I'm wondering if the permissions on root's files (or the .ssh
directory itself) may be incorrect.  The output of "ssh -vv" wouldn't
tell you that pubkey authentication was denied for that reason because
it only prints client-side debugging messages (you need to run sshd with
the "-d" flag to debug the server side).  Attempting pubkey
authentication from another system with the same key would be one way of
ruling that possibility out, because if that is indeed the problem, then
pubkey authentication should fail no matter which client system you're
coming from.  It works when I try it here, so if that's not it, nothing
else is jumping out, and that's frustrating.

I'm telling you that running "ssh-agent --list" doesn't indicate whether
or not another copy of ssh-agent is running, because the ssh-agent
program does not recognize a --list flag.  Running "ssh-agent --list"
just launches another copy of ssh-agent, a copy which will go unused.

HTH,

Nalin