Re: FC3-test1 agpgart warning on boot and very slow

Simon Sedgwick wrote:
>Simon Sedgwick wrote:
>> I've just installed FC3-test1 on a spare box I've got laying >about. This
>> was a clean install onto a disk that previously had FC1 on it and >ran
>> fine. I chose a straight workstation install and performance >during the
>> install process was okay.
>>
>> After it had finished installing I rebooted the machine and >everything
>> was fine until the kernel had decompressed the it came up with >the
>> following error: (dmesg)
>>
>> agpgart: Detected an Intel i815 Chipset, but could not find the
>> secondary device.
>> agpgart: Detected an Intel i815 Chipset.
>> agpgart: Maximum main memory to use for agp memory: 439M
>> agpgart: AGP aperture is 64M @ 0xf8000000
>>
>> Anything obvious spring to mind chaps?
>>
>> Simon
>>

>What is the second card that you have setup? I have a system with >an
>Intel 815 video card that is working fine.

Well I don't have a secondary graphics adaptor in it. I tried installing FC2 and that does the same. Install goes fine but on first boot up it runs like a dog.

I don't get any errors on this computer related to a secondary adapter. X does start up very slowly though when I first try to start X using runlevel 3 and startx from the terminal. This is with an Intel i815 video card w/ 64 MB video memory also.

I get the below excerpt: dmesg

Linux agpgart interface v0.100 (c) Dave Jones
agpgart: Detected an Intel i815 Chipset.
agpgart: Maximum main memory to use for agp memory: 438M
agpgart: AGP aperture is 64M @ 0xf8000000

There is no secondary video device message in dmesg.

X works fine after it gets up and running for me. It is the first boot that is the only problem here.

I've just reinstalled FC1 to make sure it's not a
hardware problem and thats running sweet. Shame because I was just getting into this whole spacial Nautilus thing :-(

The spacial feature is easily overridden. (as desired user using gconf-editor) :-)

I like the new (or at least just noiced this feature)
"edit > select pattern" feature. I just started using firefox and it downloaded everything to $HOME. I had to move the stuff to a different location. (rpms for multimedia). I like moz because of it prompting for a location instead of just blindly downloading stuff w/o prompting the user for a download location. It did allow me to use the pattern match option though.

Simon

Jim

-- Your object is to save the world, while still leading a pleasant life.