kernel-source for kernel 2.6.6-1.403

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Wed Jun 2 05:52:03 UTC 2004

On 02 Jun 2004 02:21:28 -0300, Alexandre Oliva <aoliva at redhat.com> wrote:

> On Jun  1, 2004, Arjan van de Ven <arjanv at redhat.com> wrote:
>
> > yes; the yum/update "you can't update to a noarch package for
> > kernel-source" mess gets avoided by renaming the package and making it
> > obsolete/provide the old name.
>
> Avoided how?  update -u -f still won't update kernel-sourcecode even
> though it obsoletes kernel-source.

it doesn't allow 'update' to work... it allows 'installing' to work.

so... you can do yum install kernel-sourcecode
or up2date kernel-sourcecode and it will install now.

Imperfect compromises, for an imperfect world. I'm more than
comfortable with the SLIGHT annoyance involved with the kernel-source
name change and the lost of automated 'updating' the kernel-sourcecode
package, considering the change potential means seeing the birth of a
ppc fedora release sooner.

Would it have been better if this had happened during the run-up to
fc2 release? Yes.
Hindsight is 20/20, it would have been great if the need to change the
kernel-source to noarch was anticipated, but it wasn't.  Would it have
been better if yum and up2date could gracefully handle the rare
situation where arch on a package needs to changes? In
retrospect...maybe...maybe not.
...we can either dig our heels in about this and bitch and moan about
it in an effort to prevent all possible pain and delay any ppc release
thats in the works..or we can bite the bullet now and make it easier
to get any ppc release out(even testing ones) before fc3.

Considering that we are talking about the kernel-source package here
and not an application...i would hazard a guess that everyone who
really NEEDS kernel-source will know enough to be able to quickly
figure out something has changed, and can either find
kernel-sourcecode on their own or will hit a communication channel in
under 5 minutes of noticing kernel-source is out of step, or they will
throw their broken dreams and pitiful desperate kernel module
compilation hopes at the alter of google. if this change means ppc
fedora sooner rather than later...then I say..please by all means lets
get on with it and lets try to anticipate the needs of any other
upcoming arch branches before fc3 release so we don't have to do
something like this again. Though i would imagine ppc breaks most if
not all the new ground that something like sparc or even alpha would
need to cover that would require an arch change like this. So after
this...there might not be anything else left to obviously anticipate.

-jef"kernel-sourcerpmbutnotthesrcrpm-2.6.6-1.406.noarch.rpm"