RPM Database Problems

Nico Kadel-Garcia nkadel at merl.com
Fri Jun 4 00:21:20 UTC 2004

----- Original Message -----
From: <shrek-m at gmx.de>
To: "For testers of Fedora Core development releases"
<fedora-test-list at redhat.com>
Sent: Thursday, June 03, 2004 4:01 PM
Subject: Re: RPM Database Problems

> Tony Perrie wrote:
>
> >I managed to axe my rpm database while attempting to fix my segmentation
> >fault problems yesterday.  Essentially, rpm -qa is now coming up blank,
> >rpm --rebuilddb nor rpm --initdb doesn't seem to fix anything.  Anything
> >else?  I tried re-installing the rpms for rpm-* and rpmdb-, but to no
> >avail.  Any suggestions?
> >

> <?>
> # rm -f /var/lib/rpm/__db.00*
> </?>
> --
> shrek-m

If your "rpm --rebuilddb" is actually functioning and completing, you
probably don't need to do that. That remove step is more helpful when rpm is
wedged and confused and won't allow any rpm queries or operations
whatsoever, which I've run into on occasion. (The handshaking and queue-ing
that allows you to do simultaneous rpm operations is not perfect.)