About Bootsplash

ne... akabi at speakeasy.net
Mon Jun 7 16:05:08 UTC 2004

On Jun 7, 2004 at 16:38, D. D. Brierton in a soothing rage wrote:

[...]
>Hmmm. That sounds odd, but perhaps it's for some good technical reason.
>I don't have FC2 installed yet (waiting for FireWire to be reinstated in
>the stock kernel), but in FC1 I get a graphical boot but not a graphical
>restart or shutdown. Is that normal?
Yes. I do not believe the shutdown/reboot part of
rhgb has been implemented yet.

>I was reading over the thread on
>rhl-beta mentioned earlier in this thread, and one of the reasons for
>introducing rhgb is to shield ordinary users from potentially confusing
>boot messages. Aren't the shutdown/restart messages equally confusing?
Not really. At least IMO.

>Also, there are still all the messages from the kernel before init
>starts which I believe are far more cryptic than the ones from init. Is
>there no way to shield the ordinary user from those as well?
You need to add a 'quiet' to the kernel line in your
grub.conf to get rid of those.

N.Emile...
For courage mounteth with occasion.
		-- William Shakespeare, "King John"
 12:01:24  up 4 days, 15:57,  4 users,  load average: 0.02, 0.01, 0.00