About Bootsplash

D. D. Brierton darren at dzr-web.com
Mon Jun 7 16:05:10 UTC 2004

On Mon, 2004-06-07 at 16:49, Jonathan Rawle wrote:
> FC2 uses the "quiet" kernel parameter to suppress most of the kernel
> messages at boot.

Ah, okay.

> Shutdown/reboot is still in text mode. I guess it would be possible to have
> an equivalent of rhgb that could be used for this.

Well I'm not suggesting that it should be a priority, but having read
the motivations for introducing rhgb it strikes me that exactly the same
reasoning applies to restart/shutdown messages.

> X usually "respawns" so that it starts again after it was killed. But I
> can't see why a wrapper can't be used to start the login on an existing
> rhgb X session if it exists, otherwise start a new one.

I agree, although I still find X slightly mysterious so I'm not sure my
opinion really counts for anything!

Best, Darren

D. D. Brierton            darren at dzr-web.com          www.dzr-web.com