new kernel for testing

Alan Cox alan at redhat.com
Wed Jun 9 17:45:56 UTC 2004

On Wed, Jun 09, 2004 at 10:43:22AM -0700, Jesse Keating wrote:
> > It also breaks some systems 8(
>
> Does it break more than the existing dual xeon supermicro systems?  I
> know quite a few of those puppies out there.  This ps/2 not working has
> been causing many of our customers to refuse looking at Fedora as an
> install choice.

As far as people can currently tell that is down to supermicro bios bugs.
Compiling the HCD in hides this by turning off USB legacy emulation before
the bios can get involved - so the kernel ends up talking to the real
PS/2 hardware.

The 2.6.x kernel is much smarter about PS/2 devices. Unfortunately it turns
out that half the worlds bios vendors and a small percentage of the hardware
people have apparently never read the spec 8(

On your dual xeon it would be interesting to know if it behaves if you turn
off USB legacy keyboard/mouse stuff before booting Fedora