build a kernel howto ( I want samba)

Harry Putnam reader at newsguy.com
Mon Mar 1 07:59:38 UTC 2004

I've never spent much time building kernels.  Never seemed to need
stuff that wasn't in them.  What little I did know about the build
has long since evaporated and I suspect would be somewhat dated now
anyway.

So where to look for a `step by step' applicable to current kernels?

I've had a enough of `cifs' troubles and want to re-enable smbfs.

With cifs, I can mount but not write.  Seemingly it would be a windows
issue but I've set the shares for `everyone' and not passworded them.
I'm mounting as `administrator' anyway so should have the concommitant
permissions ... you'd think.  But then again I'm not particularly
conversant in windows-xp way of doing things.

I was told the upstream cifs people would be `very' resonsive to
questions about cifs troubles.  But I've found that not to be true at
all. I got an answer back, then pursued further questioning and
haven't gotten another response for more than a week.

To Dave J., I'm wondering what it is about cifs that is supposed to be
better or more advanced.  It claims to be the advanced ancestor of smbfs.