coreutils and util-linux

Gene C. czar at czarc.net
Mon Mar 1 11:21:45 UTC 2004

On Monday 01 March 2004 05:57, Tim Waugh wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 28, 2004 at 06:19:02AM -0500, Gene C. wrote:
> > To get around this, you need to manually download the updated
> > util-linux-2.12-4 package (and the coreutils-5.2.0-8 package if you
> > do not have it) and then use rpm -Uvh --force util... coreutils...
>
> There is no reason to need '--force'.

IIRC, I believe that I did need force.  I knew that I needed to install both
the updated coreutils and updated unil-linux packages because /usr/bin/kill
switched packages and redhat-lsb requires /usr/bin/kill.  Therefore I first
tried rpm -Uvh util-linux-2.12-4.i386.rpm coreutils-5.2.0-8.is86.rpm but this
did not work because rpm considered 2.12pre-3 to be "newer".  That is when I
tried force.

I would need to do a fresh install to recreate the situation at this point but
I will do that if necessary to prove this point.  I was quite annoyed by the
2.12pre-3 situation since I had been had been trying for a couple days to get
coreutils installed and up2date never "saw" the 2.12-4 util-linux package as
being the newer package.  I first thought that it was only up2date but then
came to realize that it was rpm also that considered the 2.12pre-3 package as
newer.

--
Gene