kernel rebuild does'nt build actual kernel

Harry Putnam reader at newsguy.com
Tue Mar 2 04:09:41 UTC 2004

Tom Diehl <tdiehl at rogueind.com> writes:

> Yes it does. You just have to talk nice to it. :-)
>
> Try adding --target i686-redhat-linux to your command line. If you want to do
> the i386 and i686 stuff at the same time add both --target i686-redhat-linux
> and --target i386-redhat-linux on the command line.
>
> FWIW you can edit the spec file to turn off the debug, boot and other kernels
> you might not need. The stuff you need to edit is right at the top.

Sorry to be a pest Tom but the *spec file is so poorly commented and
the comments that are there are so ambiguous it is really difficult
to tell from readin them what any of it supposed to be doing.

Would have almost been better to no comment it at all.

I don't see how to turn off debug smp other $ARCH or any of it for
sure.

I'm guessing the various arch can be turned off here:

  # groups of related archs
  %define all_x86 i386 i586 i686
  %define all_sparc sparc sparc64

  # Override generic defaults with per-arch defaults

  # First, architecture-specific kernels off on all other archs (ifnarch)
  %ifnarch i386 x86_64 sparc
  %define buildsource 0
  %endif

`Other' than what?

Does this mean i386 x86_64 sparc are turned off?
Or does it mean everything else is turned off?

I don't understand why its required that comments be riddles.... hehe.

I made the mistake of running:
rpmbuild --target i686-redhat-linux
  --target i386-redhat-linux
  --target i586-redhat-linux -ba kernel-2.6.spec

Its still running hours later.  And this is on a 2GHz cpu with 512
ram.

It already generated what I needed so I guess I'll kill it but I kind
of wanted to see what is taking so damned long.  And learn how to
edit the spec so I get a little shorter run.

I see nothing about debug that looks like something I can edit to
shut it off.