x86_64 Branch of the 1.90 Tree

Gene C. czar at czarc.net
Wed Mar 3 19:11:38 UTC 2004

On Wednesday 03 March 2004 11:36, lewt at warcry.com wrote:
> I've never done a net install.. anyone know a good writeup?

Take a look at the only (or the docs cdrom) for Red Hat Linux 9.  There is
info there about doing nfs/ftp/http network installs.

A couple of words of caution ...

1. Doing a network install directly from download.fedora.redhat.com or even
many of the mirrors may have problems such as network timeout since many of
these servers are very busy.  However, downloading everything from Fedora
tree (base and RPMS) to a local system which is used as your nfs/ftp/http
server should not suffer from these problems.  BTW, you will need to burn a
cdrom with the images/boot.iso to have boot media.  You then specify "linux
askmethod" at bootup and select the appropriate type of install.

2.  I have download recent copies of of the development tree from i386 have
not been very successful as far as installation goes.  While individual
packages in the tree may be just fine and the configuration part of the
install is also fine, I have not been able to actually install packages due
to what appears to be selinux problems [the install just dies when it goes to
install].  The selinux related stuff seems to be in a state of flux and may
not really work until much closer to FC2-Test2 time.

I have not put in a bugzilla report on this since the Red Hat developers seem
to be very busy trying to get selinux in a useable state.  Hopefull, if
someone is able to actually do a network install they will post a message
indicating success ... if that occurs, I will give it another try.
--
Gene